Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Melissa Adoration

There is not a day passing by without her name on my mind, her music in my ears, the lyrics in my heart. The music doesn't have to be played in my MP3 player whatsoever. It automatically plays in my mind everytime something happens to push that 'play' button. For these days, every morning (afternoon, actually) when I wake up and go to work I automatically sing,

Wake up!
Damn, I've gotta do it again
There's faces and places, there's strangers and friends

Ahaha. Love that song, although it never made into one of her CDs. But it's a good song for boosting your self-confidence.

I've gotta go, I've gotta be
Something better than me
A dream with no guarantee
But baby says I'm good enough
Some parts are worn out, some edges are rougher
Baby says I'm like a fine wine
Getting sweeter with age
I'm getting better all the time

Heheh. Well. I'm here today to discuss her heavenly lyrics - again. I've bored way too many people talking endlessly about Melissa, but it's their own fault. Once they know she's 48 (almost) and gay, they automatically back off. Well, their loss. They can't stop me from worshiping her.

My favorite of her lyrics (and music video - it's quite a coincidence/not because it's the only video she directed herself) until now is 'Angels Would Fall', which I've quoted so many times here. It's so divine.

The rope that's wrapped around me is cutting through my skin
And the doubts that has surrounded me are finding their way in
I keep it close to me like a holy man's prayer
In my desperate hour, it's better, better that way

So I'll come by and see you again
I'll be such a very good friend
Have mercy on my soul, I will never let you know
Where my mind has been

Angels never came down, there's no one here they wanna hang around
But if they knew, if they knew you at all
Then one by one, the angels, angels would fall

I've crept into your temple, I have slept upon your pew
I have dreamed of the divinity inside and out of you
I want it more than truth, I could taste it on my breathe
I would give my life just for a little, little death

So I'll come by and see you again
I'll be just a very good friend
I will not look upon your face, I will not touch upon your grace
Your ecclesiastic skin - (chorus)

I'll come by and see you again
I'll be just a very good friend
If I whisper they will know, I'll just turn around and go
You will never know my sin

I found these comments on youtube:

"Knowing that Mellissa had an affair and fell in love with a female while married to a man. This song says to me, that even tho her secret seems forbidden in the eyes of her husband and perhaps of god. Mellissa, just doesn't care! She really fell in love and just wants her love to be accepted by society and allowed to florish. I hope all things, worked out for mellissa in the end xx" - saurabhbijelwan

"Yeah, I like it too! Anyways, the meaning of the song to me is a girl that likes a guy that doesn't want to confess her love, I never really thought of a lesbian at first like some people thought." - sweetluvretro16

"This song tells the story of a closeted lesbian who is secretly in love with a woman who is, I think, very religious. She knows, or believes, this woman would despise her if she revealed her true feelings, but she couldn't bear not to be in this person's life. Love gives her a reason for being just as religion sustains the one she loves. But she can't be open in her love, so she has to settle for being a good friend to this person she values far more than any other mere mortal." - TruthUnleashed

"I always thought the song was about being in love with a straight girl. Cuz you could never be more than very good friends. And it could apply to any unrequited love situation (gay or straight)" - harme2

"I'm pretty sure that the song is about being in love with a priest. B/c she says i wont touch your acclesiastic skin. and acclesiastic means priestly so i think she is sayin that angels wouldn't come down b/c they dont like anyone kinda meaning that everyone in the church and all is hypicritical. Where as this one priest fella is so amazing that angels would fall if only they knew him." - TjTerror2

It can be interpreted in those ways, indeed. :D The real story behind that song is that Melissa's relationship at that time was strained, and she had this crush on a married friend, so that's an impossible crush. I smiled at some comments (it was Julie who was married to a man, and this song wasn't written around that time) and even loved some other interpretation (I love the last one! It makes sense through and through, except that Melissa would never fall for a priest, priests are all male). But that's what is amazing about great lyrics. You can interpret them in many ways. For me personally, that lyrics describe beautifully how I think of Melissa herself. If I ever meet her, I'll be just a very good friend to her. Oh, and just to add the Melissa adoration, I've never ever heard the word 'SIN' said so sexily and so heavenly. Hot damn. (I'm not the only one thingking this. You can check on her youtube video comments and count how many women would go gay for her. Lol.) Aaah, the beauty of being able to appreciate heavenly music!!

No comments: