Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Melissa Adoration 3

Okay, so two posts aren't enough. Just one more for today, please. :D

When I think of how you know me, no doubts no thinking twice
When your smile can be so soothing, a familiar paradise
When there's no one else that makes me whole
I am never needing more
I get this feeling
That I have loved you before

Were we lovers in an army, marching off for Rome
Side by side in the battle, did we bravely leave our home
Did I hold you in my arms, as you were taking your last breath
Did I shout to all the gods, I would love you beyond death
Or more,
I swear I've loved you before

Did we hide in the dark ages, from a vengeful God above
our names are too unfamiliar to ever speak of love
Did I cling to every moment with you, every parting glance
An accidental touch, did we ever take the chance for more
I know I've loved you before

Have I wandered through the desert
Have I looked to the north star
Have I rode the days and nights on rails to get back where you are
And everytime I found you, it's your eyes, I know for sure

When I think of how you know me, no doubts no thinking twice
When your smile can be so soothing, a familiar paradise
When there's no one else that makes me whole, I am never wanting more
I get this feeling, I know I've loved you before

This is not the Melissa who wrote 'Like The Way I Do', 'Bring Me Some Water', 'Enough of Me', or 'Come To My Window'. This is almost like a song written by someone else completely different. She was like a wanderer in the game of love. She moved from woman to woman, from heartbreaks to heartbreaks. The closest to a content love song she's ever written before Tammy is 'Sleep', and even that is more like being tired of wandering and seeing a comfortable shelter, which is not perfect, but good enough to rest in. But the shelter is not strong enough, it needed much work even just to hold itself up. When the storm stroke down, it crumbled. This song is like being written finally from a real 'home', with a strong foundation, with a warm atmosphere, with a sense of safety and contentness that it will last forever. Even the melody reflects it. In 'Sleep' it sounds so tired. This song sounds so relaxed it's almost lazy. That's how you're supposed to feel when you're home, right?

Okay, back to the lyrics. I'm one of the firm believer that Melissa watched Xena. Hehe. When I found out that Lucy is a fan of Melissa, I went giddy, but when I first listened to the words in this song especially the second verse, I went ecstatic. I know she writes from her own experience, but who's to say that Xena's not one of them? It's a TV show afterall. And it's not like she's writing about Xena and Gabrielle. She wrote about her own love story but with a Xena-ish reference. I believed that the lyric is 'Did I shout to all the gods' from the very start, while some other fans believed it was 'Did I shout to all the guards'. Anyway, this song also makes a beautiful tribute to Xena and Gabrielle's love, and I have to admit I can't listen to this song without Xena and Gabrielle on my mind. I do hope that we will all have this kind of love, someday, somewhere, somehow.

No comments: