Gosh, don’t you hate it when a show you love goes through a pause for a long time? And Rizzles has made me wait for a year before! After only 10 episodes! Now after they aired another 10 episodes, they went on a break until November, when they’ll air 5 more episodes, and then another looooooong break! I’m so glad that Xena was aired here years ago, we don’t have that kind of a system. Otherwise I can’t imagine the withdrawal I would have gone through!
So, this is the first week in 11 weeks that I don’t have Rizzles playing on my computer on Wednesday night, and if I can’t have new episodes, best I can do is to do some reminiscence, while helping you newbie to the world of Rizzles goodness.
The relationship pairing of Detective Jane Rizzoli and Dr Maura Isles in a romantic way. Of the show Rizzoli & Isles on TNT. Based on the uber-gay subtext of the show. (Urbandictionary.com)
I haven’t seen this much chemistry between two main characters of a TV show who are not even a couple since Xena. I bet everything if one of them is actually a man, they’d have been a couple years ago. But I like it this way, too. It makes the writers being able to be creative and flirting with fans. It makes fans being creative: writing fanfics, creating music videos, creating gifs of certain scenes, even writing an anthem! You can even read Dorothy Surrenders’ brilliant gay recaps on Afterellen.com (it’s even more hilarious than the actual scenes, I tell you)! She also invented #gayzzoli which rules Twitter world every Monday, and the terms like eye sex and TGTGT that I’ll tell you about later.
2. Eye Sex, TGTGT, and LLBFFs
Cause they’re not officially a couple on screen, of course there are no love scenes for Jane and Maura. BUT, in my opinion they do something that conveys love much more effective than just sex scene! Meet: EYE SEX.
This is NOT an example of eye sex… it’s just that Jane can’t control herself at times.
And this happens not just once per episode, I tell you. It happens practically every time they are in the same place. And the TGTGT!!! It’s short for Totally Gratuitous, Totally Gay Touching. Like this:
And HUNDREDS of other moments you’ll find on the show. I know, I know, straight girls do that too… but watch the show before you argue for that! Plus, like they stated it themselves, they’re not BFFs. They’re LLBFFs. Jane said it was short for Long Life Best Friends Forever. Thanks to Dorothy, we know it’s Lesbian Lovers But Faking as Friends.
With this much material, comes the Drinking Game!
(copied from http://rizzlesgirls.blogspot.com/2011/08/drinking-game.html)
The rules are fairly simple: one drink/shot of your choice every time one of the following criteria is met. In order to avoid inducing mass liver failure, you can limit the game to a 5 shot maximum. Knock one back every time:
1. Either Rizzoli or Isles tries to forcibly/awkwardly set the other up with a man, usually after spending the evening talk about each other – this also includes nudging each other to date someone of the male persuasion right at the end of a long, intimate scene between them.
2. Engaging in any stereotypical lesbian behavior – including softball, home repair, etc.
3. Friends/parents/relatives of Rizzoli and Isles trying to set them up with people other than each other.
4. Intimate dinners – including restaurant variety, home variety, and in any case where one cooks for the other and there are candles and wine present.
5. Sleeping in the same bed/couch/squad car – bonus, 2 shots.
6. Stares lasting longer than 3 seconds.
7. Adorable bickering which generally relates to sexual tension (use your best lesbian discretion).
8. One of them saying, “I’ll come along,” in a situation where she need not be present, and providing a dumb, unrelated reason for it. Example, “I’m going to interrogate a suspect.” “I’ll come…I’ve always liked the peanut M&Ms in the break room.”
9. Going out for drinks together and rebuffing/eliminating any and all male interaction.
10. Any character telling Rizzoli & Isles they “make a great team” with a straight face.
11. Complaining to each other about their inability to find a compatible mate, all while being completely compatible mates.
12. Rescuing/saving/protecting one another above and beyond the call of duty, especially when it involves excessive hugging and touching.
13. Touching hands for any extended length.
Think it’s hard to get drunk with these rules from a totally straight TV show? Think again. It’s been known that with Rizzles you’ll be drunk before the theme song even begins.
3. Fan Works
Naturally, a show with this much tension creates frustration for fans, and we need some release. That comes with the fan works: fan fictions, fan arts, photo manipulations, music videos, etc. And unlike Xena, this time the fans have LOTS of golden materials. THIS is created with ONLY the first episode cuts, for crying out loud!
And I love the gifs. Manipulation is not much needed with Rizzles, indeed.
Oh, and the fan fictions! Those are my bed time stories nowadays, literally. Most of them are fun and well-written, though with all due respect, I find Xenaverse writers to be far more creative in their writing (this is the proof. X&G fics have covered almost every job ever created, and then some!). My favorite Rizzles fic has to be Lady Neeko (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2868447/Lady_Neeko), who wrote about the FOUR children of Rizzoli-Isles households.
One of the best thing about this show is not only the actresses have their own twitters, THE CHARACTERS of the show also have their twitter! And they tweets to each other! That’s really amusing in my opinion, and of course, the fans picked up EVERYTHING gayzzoli.
Let’s see… here are the list of the characters’ twitters:
@VinceKorsak ---> Jane’s ex-partner
@DetBarryFrost ---> Jane’s current partner
@FrankieRizzoli ---> Jane’s little brother (Tommy Rizzoli hasn’t had Twitter?)
@AngelaRizzoli ---> Jane’s mother aka Mama Rizzoli
@rizzoliplumbing ---> Jane’s father
@Joe_Friday_Dog ---> Jane’s dog
@Tortoise_Isles ---> Maura’s tortoise, Bass
Oh, and Mama Rizzoli also support Rizzles, it seems:
LOL. Yeah, I loooooooove this show. It’s a lot of fun, and when it’s low on fun, it means that it has a very good crime case (this is a detective TV show, although I forget about that most of the time – and I’m not the only one).
One last note about Rizzles: it’s highly ADDICTIVE. So I suggest you to think twice before throwing yourself out there, cause you’ll soon be joining us in RAA (Rizzles Addicts Anonymous – just google the site).
There you go! Now you’re good to go to the land of Rizzles. See ya around on November!
NB: Feel free to claim the pics I used. I really can’t remember where I got them. If you own them and don’t want them posted here, I’ll remove them. They’re just so brilliant I just have to share them! Thank you.