Monday, June 28, 2010

Simplicity of Mind

I've figured out lately that I love working from home more than anything else. I love being home, I love being able to work and eat or drink at the same time (although I rarely do this since it's messy), I love being able to work without supervision - all that matters is the result, and I love working without the constant competitiveness with co-workers. I worked with lots of people before, and I don't like it. I always prefer a small team in doing works cause it's easier to manage and it's more focused. I also can't stand a company hierarchy. It means that everybody's trying so hard to get to the top, fighting with each other and trying to make each other fall. If you succeed at something or if you stand out, be prepared to get all kinds of shits thrown your way. Well, at least that's the case with my previous  job. Well, the downside is of course that I don't have the stability my previous job offers. There will be about another month without paycheck, I think. Heh heh.

Anyway, having lots of time on my hand makes me think about all sorts of things, too. When I work 12 hours a day I was too tired to think of other things. Being tired and stressed out make me care only about myself and not about anyone else, much less about strangers I don't even know. Now I think about the strangest of things, and right now it's about living in the ancient time. No, not the ancient like ancient Rome or Greece or China, much more ancient than when Jesus was born. I think about the living of people when there was no money system, when there was not much technology, when there was no country or religion or even tribe.

For me now looking at them, their lives are so simple. They work day by day just to fill their needs, not for anything else. They live together in harmony and everyone can choose their roles. Some are farmers, some are hunters, some are healers, some are teachers, and most of the women do house chores together. There is no TV or computer or radio to distract them from the people around them. There is no plane or train so all they see is what's around them. There is no money so there's no rich-man and poor-man. Then I think, what problems did they have, then? Did crime and greed existed even then? What did they do for fun? How long can they stick that way before change happens? Are they happy with the way they lived? There are so many question and I of course don't have the answer.

I always love simplicity. Some may say I'm stupid or dull because of that, but that state of simplicity always makes me happy. I love plain vanilla ice cream. I rarely add any sauce or salt or pepper to my food. I don't like chili. I love hot tea without sugar (although it depends on what kind of tea it is). I even prefer Oreo without the filling. That translates to my preference of women: no piercing, no tattoo, no hair-dye, not much accessories is very good to me. And perhaps everyone would agree with me with no-clothes liking, but that's another matter altogether :))

Being born in this time and age exposes me to lots and lots of things. This is the age of information, and although I love the fact that I can get almost any information I need just by connecting to the internet, I also get lots of information I could do without. Criminal news are good for cautionary tale, but it makes me wary of strangers - even strangers in need. Every time I see a stranger in need I have an ugly internal battle. What if they only trap me into their scheme? But what if they really need help? I'm very ashamed that I have to think twice to help someone, but I also realize it's better to be cautious, many people are glad to use other people's kindness to trap them. You can even eat a delicious chicken somewhere and the next thing you know someone's telling you it's not chicken but rat. Nowadays I consciously filter myself more of those negative things, but I can only do so much when everybody around me are still watching, reading, or listening to such news.

I really think people can be happier living the old way, in a simpler way. When women don't have to struggle so hard to stay thin, when it doesn't matter how much or how little you have, when it doesn't matter what religion you have, or what race you are, or who you love. Ah well, maybe God had a point when He told humans not to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge.

No comments: